Skip to main content

Mo Money Mo Problems

Congratulations to all of us for a successful awards ceremony and a good job to all of those who helped to present the awards. I know for most of the semester we all anticipated our work done after the final vote and the ceremony. That's not the case anymore. We're very lucky to have been given the extra $2,000 but with this money, comes more decision making.

It was during our final votes on operating and programming grant that discussion of spreading the wealth was brought up. Many had advocated for TruthPharm to receive the operating grant, but after they already reviewed the programming grant, many flipped their decisions to ensure that the ACA also received a grant.

Now that we have this extra money, will we continue to stick to our view that we should spread the wealth, or would the class be open to donating to one of the final recipients again. While $2,000 is much less than $7,500 and could possibly be seen as supplemental money, it almost matches the price of the operating grant of $2,500. So will we perceive this extra money as supplemental money or will be go ahead and view it as a whole other grant consideration of its own?

I look forward to hearing what the class has to say about this issue and seeing what decision we make at the end!

Comments

  1. Hana,
    I had a very similar reaction to the announcement that we had won the additional $2,000. When we met today, I was really glad that we decided to split it between two organizations, even though the $2000 is basically almost the same amount as the $2500 operating grant. I think that us perceiving the extra money as additional funding instead of a whole grant on its own was beneficial to deciding who to administer it to.
    I was surprised that we chose the ACA even though they received the operating grant, I was thinking that maybe people would move towards the other organizations like STAP, HCA, and Meals on Wheels. I personally voted for STAP and Meals on Wheels. I voted for STAP because I really liked and supported the identity center and it's mission and believe that it serves a very important role in the Binghamton community. Additionally, I think that they are effective at budgeting and using resources wisely (they had a detailed plan for how they would spend the grants. Additionally, I was supportive of Meals on Wheels receiving the other half of the $2000 because I think it would have helped their problem of increasing prices. Meals on Wheels provides a valuable service to the Binghamton community and for them to have more stable prices would allow more people to be serviced by MOW.
    All in all I am happy with how the money was distributed and I am happy we were awarded extra funding to donate.
    -Chloe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Changing Perspective on Philanthropy

Because this is one of the last blog posts for our class, I considered discussing our final donation decisions, possibly lamenting over the lack of funding for Meals on Wheels of Western Broome. However, as this class comes to an end, I think there is much more that we can take away than just our final decisions. Specifically, I want to talk about how this class has affected my view of philanthropy and how it will change the way I spend my time and money in the future. A couple of weeks ago I went to “Casino in the Woods,” an annual casino night that College in the Woods Council puts on in order to raise money for charity. I am not much of a gambler and generally don’t like the addictive nature of games designed to make you lose money. But since all of the proceeds were going to charity, I figured that the money I would ultimately lose at the event would be for a good cause. However, as the night went on, I couldn’t stop thinking about the implications of this...

How Recent Tax Reform Hurts Charitable Giving

Back in February, news broke that the latest tax reform would increase the amount citizens would need to donate in order to reap tax benefits. I think we mentioned the topic in class once, but it only started to come to mind more once my parents started talking about it. Over spring break, I remember my dad thinking out loud about donating to a charity he likes before mentioning, “Now I won’t get a tax deduction…” He still ended up donating, but I lingered on what he said. After some research, I found out that the amount an individual had to give in order to receive benefits has doubled in the last month (CNBC). Although donors will most likely continue their philanthropy, removing one of the tangible benefits of giving will no doubt discourage the average American from making more donations. So what does this mean for the charities that rely on smaller donations? Grassroot organizations, which depend on smaller, more local donations will certainly take a hit. Whether the donation i...

Voluntourism: More Harm than Help?

As many of you know, I am part of an organization local to my hometown called MadagascarConnect. Since this was the organization that I pitched and I do talk excessively about it, I’ll give a brief recap. MadagascarConnect is a program based out of Rhinebeck, New York that sponsors the travel of five student ambassadors to the island of Madagascar, biennially. The ambassadors work with several nonprofits local to the area, building connections and learning from leaders in the nonprofit sector. This blog post was inspired by Hannah’s comment on my last post regarding a phenomenon known as voluntourism. Voluntourism is a form of travel in which people participate in some form of volunteer activity, usually through a charity. Voluntourism has become a controversial topic in recent years; does it do more harm than help? Recently, I discovered an instagram account related to this topic. The account, called Barbie Savior, is a satirical account based on the downfalls of voluntourism. ...