Skip to main content

Charity Pitch: GRID Alternatives


The 21st century has seen the rise of interest in renewable energy.  As the world has become more knowledgeable of the limited nature of many of Earth’s resources, the understanding of the importance of clean energy has expanded.  This lends itself to the promotion of new methods of generating power by many organizations and philanthropists in the current day.  One such organization is GRID Alternatives, a nonprofit organization based in California that was created in 2001.  This nonprofit organization focuses its work on both the availability of renewable energy and the efficiency of energy.

The mission of GRID Alternatives is to “make renewable energy technology and job training accessible to underserved communities”.  This mission is significant to me for a number of reasons.  I appreciate that the nonprofit seeks to work toward long term goals.  The necessity of renewable energy is something that I believe will only increase in importance as time progresses.  The mission statement of this organization also concerns underprivileged communities.  By training people in these communities, GRID Alternatives provides opportunity to people with very little.  I find this nonprofit organization particularly appealing because of its multi-faceted nature.  GRID Alternatives works to supply people with clean energy, provide job training and experience for members of underprivileged communities, and increase the use of renewable energy in the country.  These qualities of the nonprofit demonstrate its commitment to the people and to the Earth and this is very admirable to me.

GRID Alternatives provides communities with free solar installation services.  The nonprofit organization serves low income households and locations by setting up solar panels on buildings in target regions.  This is part of the Energy for All program.  This program benefits communities by lessening the economic burden on families with lower incomes.  The organization also trains individuals in these target communities in the field of solar energy.  This expands job opportunities for people in struggling communities.  It also encourages the increase of renewable energy in the United States which I believe to be an important direction for the country.  In addition to supporting those struggling economically and supporting better energy methods, GRID Alternatives pushes for clean energy legislation.  The efforts of the nonprofit in government have contributed to change in the form of bills, research initiatives, and program development focused on clean energy to combat climate change.

I believe that this nonprofit organization should be considered for a donation because of its potential and because of its previous accomplishments.  This establishment encourages and facilitates the use of renewable energy.  This is necessary for the future of the planet and by implementing systems now, GRID Alternatives sets an example for each of the communities in the nation.  The organization also works to benefit people in low income areas by lowering energy costs.  The combination of increasing renewable energy usage and decreasing energy expenses for people in need of assistance makes GRID Alternatives incredible to me.  In addition to these benefits, this establishment promotes jobs in the field of sustainable energy through job training.  Interest is also fostered through the presence of solar panels in communities.  The final aspect of GRID Alternatives that I believe solidifies it as a respectable nonprofit organization is its presence in legislation in the United States.  I find it incredibly important that this organization is using its influence to shift the nation towards clean energy.  The successes of GRID Alternatives, its future potential, and its alignment with my values in regard to energy lead me to support this organization.

Comments

  1. Julia,
    First off, allow me to congratulate you on a very well written and informative blog post. I had no idea that a charity like this existed. I have to say I am very intrigued in their work. I really do think it is a great idea.
    Back home, I do not have solar panels on my house. However I have asked my dad why we do not, since they are supposed to save money. He responded with a statement that boiled down to the idea that he would love to do it, but the upfront cost was simply impractical. Hopefully as the years have passed this price has come down a bit, but the fact that people have to pay to be more energy efficient and clean seems preposterous to me.
    As we all know, climate change is becoming a bigger and bigger threat to all of humankind as the years pass. As the temperature and seas rise, the conditions of living become much more difficult. Scientists have implored us to take care of the Earth and be as energy efficient as possible. I feel that solar panels on houses and in residential areas that generate power to be used by the inhabitants of that area is a great idea, and I love that the charity you chose conducts this service for free.
    On another note, I am in the Smart Energy stream of the Freshman Research Immersion Program here and Binghamton. We are conducting research on what are known as perovskite nanocrystals. These are so interesting because they excite electrons very easily. When applied to solar cells, they are able to generate the same amount of power, if not more, than a standard Silicon based solar cell that is used today. However the perovskite cells are much cheaper to produce. If the stability issues are fixed, perovskite based solar cells would become able to be commercialized and the prices to install solar cells would drop substantially. I wonder how a scientific development such as this would affect the nonprofit sector, especially now that I know that a charity like this is out there.
    Finally, I also very much enjoy the fact that the charity doesn’t stop at simply installing the cells. Rather, they also fight for legislation to benefit those who are energy efficient and try to help save the world. I feel that the two-pronged approach is extremely smart and effective.
    Great work!
    -Thomas Houghton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia:
    I really enjoyed reading your blog post and hearing your charity pitch. As an Envi major, I listed one of my core values as environmentalism, so when you chose GRID alternatives as your charity to pitch to the class, I was delighted. What I particularly like about GRID Alternatives is that it introduces renewable energy to communities at no cost, which is extremely important, as the cost is usually a deciding factor concerning the implementation of renewables. I additionally like how GRID Alternatives creates jobs and trains members of underprivileged communities. Teaching someone a specific skill set can be largely beneficial in more economically depressed areas where traditional schooling doesn't provide this sort of experience.
    As much as I liked GRID Alternatives and am very much an environmentalist, I didn't vote for GRID alternatives in class on Tuesday, even though I 100% support what they do as a non-profit. I ended up choosing camp good grief instead, which surprised me as I wrote my core value paper on environmentalism as I believed that sustainability was what I cared about most. Your charity pitch made me realize that I have a variety of different values and that this course has really changed the way I look at philanthropy. While I didn't vote for GRID Alternatives, I still support what they do, however, I now realize that environmentalism may not be at the top of my priorities when it comes to philanthropy.
    -Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia,

    I really enjoyed your charity pitch in class and I love the idea of this organization. While I ultimately didn't end up voting for GRID alternatives, it was very close because this organization aligns closely with my core beliefs. One thing that I find especially impressive about this charity is that it manages to tackle two separate problems at once: It both helps people in low income areas while also working on improving the environment. This allows people to benefit both in the short term and in the long term, which is something that most organizations are unable to do.

    One of the questions that I have been struggling throughout our philanthropic process is how much we should focus on short term charity vs. long term solutions. For example, welfare is vital for making sure that everyone can afford to feed their families, but a common complaint is that it is only a bandaid that is patching up systemic problems. After reading and hearing about GRID alternatives, I wonder if the approach of "killing two birds with one stone" is more effective and how many other organization are attempting the same thing.

    I believe that the environment is one of the most pressing issues of our time and I think that GRID alternatives' method for lessening the issue is effective and unique. Thank you for sharing this charity with us!

    -Adiel Felsen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia,

    I wanted to commend you on your well-written charity pitch and your bravery in pitching to the class a charity that you had only found out about recently. Although you did not necessarily have a personal connection to GRID Alternatives, you definitely conveyed your passion for their cause.

    I appreciate the approach GRID Alternatives takes in tackling the issue of climate change by attempting to overcome one of its largest factors: the energy crisis. I am a proud environmentalist and I am actually currently researching the effects of climate change on evolution in an on-campus lab. One of the the most frightening aspects of climate change is that it affects all aspects of society: the economy, social hierarchy, and the obvious, the environment. I've attached an article recently published by the EPA that summarizes each individual effect of climate change. The article mentions how the effects of a changing climate are predicted to be more burdening on the lower-income bracket of the United States. As the finite amount of fossil fuels gradually run out beneath the Earth's surface, it will become significantly more expensive for those still relying on the coal or oil option for energy to sustain themselves. This places these lower-income citizens "between a rock and a hard-place", as it is often too expensive for them to commit to the large financial cost of installing solar panels so that they no longer need to rely on fossil fuels. Fortunately, GRID Alternatives tackles this issue!

    I support this organization for its ability to both understand the complexity of climate change in its social and societal implications, and to work in an effort to relieve the many factors of the issue. As for its implications in the sphere of philanthropy, I am very impressed by the this nonprofit. As I recently posted on the blog , it is often difficult for donors to commit to long-term causes, because of their frustration in not seeing immediate results. The issue of climate change is one of the largest examples of this issue, as philanthropists most times cannot see the change they are making with the long-term nature of the issue. GRID Alternatives has managed to bring a solution to this problem. By focusing on the small-scale facets of climate change in allowing those who would not normally be able to afford solar panels free installation, the 501c3 allows for their donors to see clearly the strides they are making. As for large scale change, increasing reliance on alternative energy sources instead of dependence on depleting, environmentally-harmful resources such as fossil fuels will make large-scale change in reducing climate change as CO2 emissions, toxic byproducts, and environmental destruction at drilling sites are reduced, as long as more and more make the change. GRID alternatives is a vehicle in reversing climate change, and reducing the frustration that follows donating to climate change efforts. This is the type of organization the world needs more of!

    Link to EPA article: https://19january2017snapshot.epa.gov/climate-impacts/climate-impacts-society_.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Support the Abolition of Welfare-Based Non-Profits

To some, the statement may sound radical, but to me, it is simply logical. I support the abolition of human welfare-based non-profits. At this current moment in time, I believe they must exist, as they provide of vital service. But, I think that as a society, it is our responsibility to limit the vitality, and eventually the existence, of these non-profit organizations. Continuing to rely on non-profits is like putting an ice pack on a broken bone; it may help relieve some of the immediate pain, but without further attention and help, it will never truly heal. The system must change. The current institutional system of inequality will never allow this society to progress to its full potential as long as it continually oppresses and restricts a large sector of the population, obstructing their ability to reach greater heights. The government needs to restructure its budget and begin investing in social policies and programs that will remedy these imbalances. It is the most impactful, ef

How do we define good?

Up to this point in Philanthropy, we have been plagued by several difficult questions: ranging from what is the best approach to giving, to who should the finalists for the grants be, these questions have tested our morals and values, promoted discussion, and challenged us. However, I do want to pose another difficult question that I feel underlies the concepts of philanthropy and of this class: what does it mean to be good? Or in other words, what does it mean to be a good person? This is a question I always reflect on, as understanding my concept of “good” allows me to be a better philanthropist and a better person. How I define this idea of “good” can be and most likely is different from other’s definitions; but no matter how it is defined, it is important to be able to define it. I read an article published on Huffington Post entitled “Here’s What It Means to Be a Good Person, Gosh Darnit.” I found this article while I was doing some research on this idea of “goodness.” The pu

Don't Undervalue the Operating Grant!

In the decision on where to donate the program and operating grants, there was dissent as to whether an organization should be given both grants. For most, it was a well-set position that the recipient of the program grant would be ineligible for the operating grant and that, in turn, the opposing candidate denied the program grant would be almost unanimously chosen for the operating grant, as happened today. In my own stance as to why each organization would benefit from the receipt of a particular grant (ACA for the program grant, Truth Pharm for the operating), I tried to delineate the specific reasoning behind my argument, but as passions flared and the final vote came closer, it seemed as if the class had already decided that the smaller operating grant was inferior to the program grant. I sought to remain cognizant to the importance of each grant, but those passions resulted in me hearing a lot of well-meaning yet slightly outlandish arguments that seemed to use need for the ope