Skip to main content

Affordable Healthcare in Broome County for Families through the Mothers and Babies Network

When we had a guest speaker come into class last Thursday, I was surprised by some of the data presented in the Broome County Needs Assessment. Broome County's poverty rate had almost doubled from 2000 to 2013, the opioid epidemic was getting worse, and the need for adequate healthcare was becoming a more pressing issue. These weaknesses in the local community can be alleviated with the help of the Mothers and Babies network. 

Mothers and Babies Perinatal network is a non-profit organization that serves the seven-county region of south-central New York, which includes: Broome, Chenango, Cortland, Delaware, Otsego, Tioga and Tompkins counties. The Mothers and Babies network aims to improve pregnancy & birth outcomes and to support the health and development of individuals and families by providing a variety of critical services. These services include (but are not limited to): prenatal/perinatal information, referral, education and support, support & education for parents of infants and toddlers, and teen pregnancy prevention education and support, and access to health insurance.

This organization is important because of its focus on families and family health. By providing services such as free STD testing, aid in signing up for health insurance, and finding a primary doctor, the Mothers and Babies Network serves members of the community that may not be able to afford healthcare. Broome County and its surrounding areas have high poverty rates, as reflected in the Broome County Needs Assessment we discussed in last Thursday’s class. Binghamton’s poverty rate has increased from 29.1% to 47.3% from 2000 to 2013, and healthcare assistance programs are more important now than ever. The services provided by Mothers and Babies can help ensure that people in the Broome County area have access to adequate healthcare, which I believe is a right that all people are entitled to.


I believe that everyone has a right to some sort of healthcare. It’s stated in the preamble that the purpose of the constitution is to “promote the general welfare” of US citizens while giving people the unalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. This entails having the well-being necessary to live life and pursue happiness, which is why I recognize that all people have the right to adequate healthcare. I want to raise money for the Mothers and Babies network in hopes of bettering the Broome County area through providing health and perinatal care to those who need it most, and I hope that you, my classmates will want to do the same. 

Comments

  1. This sounds like a wonderful organization! I wonder what exactly their teen pregnancy prevention looks like. I know the importance of sex education, and I hope they provide comprehensive sex ed. It's important to actually reach into these communities and teach safe sex beyond abstinence. I have done a lot of research into this type of work, and there is a lot of evidence about what methods are most effective for these types of family planning goals. I think it's important we hold organizations to a researched standard. There are always methods to improve care, so I find it's best when organizations acknowledge this and try to continuously assess themselves. I know the importance of contraception as well as pre- and peri-natal care, so I definitely see why you would support this organization. I can't wait to hear more about them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mothers and Babies Perinatal Care Network seems like a noble organization to support. It also seems currently like a very prevalent need within the community. Especially with programs similar to this like Planned Parenthood being defunded within the recent months. Regardless of political leaning the extreme diversity in the services of this organization should encourage all to supporting their efforts. The services this organization provides is filling a widening gap of need in the prenatal and sex health fields. This organization's wide spread support from education and testing to consultation and assessments reaches a large and low prioritized population within New York's southern tier. This program responds to and aids the impoverished populations that are unable to afford the sex education and heath care from private organizations. I look forward to seeing if they obtain funding!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Changing Perspective on Philanthropy

Because this is one of the last blog posts for our class, I considered discussing our final donation decisions, possibly lamenting over the lack of funding for Meals on Wheels of Western Broome. However, as this class comes to an end, I think there is much more that we can take away than just our final decisions. Specifically, I want to talk about how this class has affected my view of philanthropy and how it will change the way I spend my time and money in the future. A couple of weeks ago I went to “Casino in the Woods,” an annual casino night that College in the Woods Council puts on in order to raise money for charity. I am not much of a gambler and generally don’t like the addictive nature of games designed to make you lose money. But since all of the proceeds were going to charity, I figured that the money I would ultimately lose at the event would be for a good cause. However, as the night went on, I couldn’t stop thinking about the implications of this...

How Recent Tax Reform Hurts Charitable Giving

Back in February, news broke that the latest tax reform would increase the amount citizens would need to donate in order to reap tax benefits. I think we mentioned the topic in class once, but it only started to come to mind more once my parents started talking about it. Over spring break, I remember my dad thinking out loud about donating to a charity he likes before mentioning, “Now I won’t get a tax deduction…” He still ended up donating, but I lingered on what he said. After some research, I found out that the amount an individual had to give in order to receive benefits has doubled in the last month (CNBC). Although donors will most likely continue their philanthropy, removing one of the tangible benefits of giving will no doubt discourage the average American from making more donations. So what does this mean for the charities that rely on smaller donations? Grassroot organizations, which depend on smaller, more local donations will certainly take a hit. Whether the donation i...

Voluntourism: More Harm than Help?

As many of you know, I am part of an organization local to my hometown called MadagascarConnect. Since this was the organization that I pitched and I do talk excessively about it, I’ll give a brief recap. MadagascarConnect is a program based out of Rhinebeck, New York that sponsors the travel of five student ambassadors to the island of Madagascar, biennially. The ambassadors work with several nonprofits local to the area, building connections and learning from leaders in the nonprofit sector. This blog post was inspired by Hannah’s comment on my last post regarding a phenomenon known as voluntourism. Voluntourism is a form of travel in which people participate in some form of volunteer activity, usually through a charity. Voluntourism has become a controversial topic in recent years; does it do more harm than help? Recently, I discovered an instagram account related to this topic. The account, called Barbie Savior, is a satirical account based on the downfalls of voluntourism. ...